Eltham Heritage

A walk down Eltham's Bridge Street is a walk through time. Buildings in the town are significant for their architecture and their importance to Eltham's social and economic history. Eleven of the buildings are registered as significant buildings with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.

Specially-designed heritage walks through Eltham will take you past some of Taranaki's most significant buildings. They include:

The Municipal Building  (pictured above) - Constructed in 1911, this beautiful two-story building housed the Eltham Borough Council. The Public Library and Reading Rooms occupied the upper floor. An impressive collection of early photographs of Eltham is on display in the foyer - come in and have a look!

The Town Hall was built between 1910 and 1911 to replace the original hall in Railway Street. The wood-and-iron building incorporates a large auditorium and meeting hall. The Town Hall has a marvellous stage design and attracted a considerable number of touring companies to Eltham. Silent films were also shown in the hall from an early date. Now nearly 100 years old, the Town Hall is continually being restored and technically upgraded by the Friends of the Eltham Town Hall.

 

Businessman and politician CA Wilkinson is known to many people in the area as the father of Eltham. He was Mayor of Eltham from 1941 to 1947 and an Independent Member of Parliament for 22 years. He built several of Eltham's shop buildings and initiated the important tarsealing of Eltham's Roads in 1906. His former home Ashleigh Lodge is one of Eltham's most impressive older buildings..

The fine old Eltham Post Office building in Bridge Street was built in 1904. The manual telelphone exchange operated out of the upper floor of the building until 1957.

Eltham Heritage Inventory

Click here to access the Eltham Heritage Inventory. This file offers a detailed inventory of heritage sites in Eltham for people who would like more information regarding this important historic town.

Historic Places Map