Cape Egmont Lighthouse (pictured above) - This marvellous lighthouse began its life on Mana Island, north of Wellington. In 1881, the tower was brought in sections to Cape Egmont on the steamer Hinemoa. The lighthouse began service in August of that year.
Everybody's Theatre - The theatre was built between 1912 and 1914. It was originally home to Thorpe and Callahan's general store. In the 1920s, the building was converted into a picture theatre. The theatre was ultimately purchased by local residents as a community asset. Volunteers continue to operate the theatre.
The Opunake War Memorial commemorates local people who fell in the great wars of the 20th century. The stone was laid by His Excellency Lord Jellicoe, the Governor-General of New Zealand, on 27 October 1921.
St Barnabas Anglican Church was built in the Selwyn Church style in 1895 in donated timber. The architect was the celebrated Frederick de Jersey Clere. He designed Gothic Revival buildings and is probably most celebrated for the Catholic St Mary of the Angels Church in Wellington. In 1991, the church was completely turned around and realigned by several feet.
Opunake Heritage Inventory
Click here to access the Opunake Heritage Inventory. This file offers a detailed inventory of heritage sites in Opunake for people who would like more information regarding this important historic town.
Historic Places Map