The majestic Waverley Town Hall on Bear Street (pictured above) was built in 1908. This special building is a Category II Historic Place and is registered with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
Waverley is the South Taranaki District's southernmost town.
Waverley's history is as rich and varied as that of most towns in the South Taranaki district.
Many of the streets are named after men of the Eight and Tenth Companies of the Taranaki Military Settlers. The settlers drew their land from the Okutuku Block.
The cottage of famous New Zealand writer and educator Rewi Alley is situated in the Moeawatea Valley, just north of Waverley. The cottage is a Category II Historic Place.
Specially-designed heritage walks through Waverley will take you past some of the town's beautiful old sites and buildings in Waverley.
The marvellous Post Office building was constructed in 1928 and for many years was the hub of the town. The building has been restored and is now a private residence.
The lovely old Waverley Railway Station is the finest example of the remaining modified Vogel Class Four Railway Stations in New Zealand. It is registered as a Category II Historic Place with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust. The Station was built in 1881. It serviced the rural community and the developing hinterland for more than one hundred years.
New Zealand suffered great casualties in both 20th Century World Wars. The Waverley Clock Tower was erected in 1925 as a memorial to local people lost in the Great War. The memorial stands within the confines of the old military redoubt. The redoubt remains are still visible today. New commemorative plaques were added after the Second World War.
Waverley Heriage Inventory
Click here to access the Waverley Heritage Inventory. This file offers a detailed inventory of heritage sites in Waverley for people who would like more information regarding this important historic town.