Information for storm affected residents over the long weekend
Friday, March 09, 2012
The Taranaki Civil Defence Emergency Management Group has appointed Louise McLay as Recovery Manager to facilitate recovery efforts to assist people affected by the recent storm.
Agencies and groups that are assisting the recovery in South Taranaki are listed below.
If you need help with welfare, accommodation or any other support you should contact the agencies directly or you can phone Taranaki Civil Defence Emergency Management for advice or information.
Taranaki Civil Defence Emergency Management: call 0800 900 049 (including over the long weekend).
Patea and Waverley LibraryPlus centres will also be open from 9.30am to 12 noon over the long weekend (Saturday to Monday) to provide information and advice.
Ngati Ruanui Runanga will continue to run the drop-in centre at the Patea Old Folks Hall over the long weekend.
People who are still without power and would like a hot shower can go to Te Mahana Rest Home, Chester St, Patea; the PowerCo Aquatic Centre and TSB Hub in Hawera, or to the Waverley LibraryPlus (9.30am to 12 noon over the long weekend).
- Please read this leaflet from PowerCo - Information for those residents who are still without power
- Some properties in Whanganui, Waverley, Patea and the Waitotara Valley are facing power cuts for up to another week due to extensive damage and difficult access.
- People without power should switch their mains switch off if they leave their property while waiting for supply to be restored.
- Treat all loose power lines as live. Contact Powerco on 0800 272 727 to report any lines that are down.
- If your neighbours have power and you don't or only part of your property has power, contact your electricity retailer.
- People who are medically dependent on electricity should contact their health care provider in the first instance.
- All Transfer Stations throughout the district are open 9-4 until Monday 12 March (Taranaki Anniversary) and will be taking greenwaste and storm debris (not household waste) free of charge.
- If you need help to clear storm debris on your property or to transport it to the transfer station ask your friends, neighbours or family to help. Or you can contact the Council on 0800 111 323. It may take several days to organise assistance through Taranaki Civil Defence.
- If you have any issues with your water supply or wastewater, please contact the Council on 0800 111 323.
- Power-affected farmers needing delivery of stock or domestic water can contact DairyNZ on (06) 278 0090 or after hours on 021 831 944 to discuss requirements.
Boil water from the Cold Creek Water Supply
The Taranaki District Health Board have advised that water from the Cold Creek Water Supply should be boiled for at least 1 minute to make it safe for drinking.
Please conserve water at Wai-inu Beach
There are problems producing enough water to keep up with demand in the Waiinu Beach Township, due to the recent power failure. To help maintain the supply to everyone please: advise the council of any leaks on public or private property, urgently fix any leaks on your property and conserve water.
All roads are now open. Please drive with extreme care as debris has been moved to the side of the road.
ENHANCED TASKFORCE GREEN WORKERS
If you want to be considered to be a worker on Enhanced Taskforce Green, you should contact Work and Income (contact details below) to register.
Call 111 if life is at risk
Federated Farmers are collating reports of damage in rural areas. Call 0800 327 646.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE – WORK AND INCOME
You don’t need to be on a benefit to get help from Work and Income. If you’re not sure what you may be eligible for visit www.workandincome.govt.nz or call 0800 559 009 (except Sunday), or visit a service centre on week days (except Taranaki Anniversary Day).
Hawera – 15 Union St Hawera
Whanganui - Victoria Ave or St Hill Street Whanganui
The Work and Income mobile service will be closed over the long weekend but will be operating in Patea and Waverley from Tuesday 13 March.
HOUSING NEW ZEALAND CORPORATION – TENANTS OR ACCOMMODATION
Phone: 0800 801 601
DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING AND HOUSING – TENANCY ADVICE
Phone: 0800 83 62 62 between 8am and 5:30pm weekdays.
TAX SUPPORT – INLAND REVENUE
If, as a result of the storm, your records are destroyed, you cannot meet a return or payment date or if you have any other issues, Inland Revenue will work with you to sort them out. Contact them by secure webmail at www.ird.govt.nz or phone the Inland Revenue Help Line 0800 473 566.
For emotional support, advocacy or information.
South Taranaki - 0800 84 28 46
Whanganui - 0800 82 28 46 or (06) 349 0647
FAMILY VIOLENCE INFORMATION LINE
The 0800 Family Violence Information Line provides information. It operates every day from 9am - 11pm. Call 0800 456 450.