Open Climb Mt Egmont / Taranaki
Saturday, February 05, 2011 05:45 AM
Mt Egmont Alpine Club
Open Climb Mt Egmont / Taranaki 5th Feb 2011
Toitu te whenua (Leave the land undisturbed)
The summit is a culturally sensitive area to the local Maori. People refer to the mountain as an ancestor. The top of the mountain is his head.
The iwi ask climbers not to climb onto the “Summit Rock” Please respect their wishes
TAKE NOTHING BUT PHOTO’S LEAVE NOTHING BUT FOOTPRINTS
Climb Controller Bruce Mouat
MOB 0272-441204 / A/H 06- 278- 8636
DATE: Saturday 5th February 2011 (Alternatively Sunday 6th Feb 2011)
TIME: Register 5.45am (sharp)
WHERE: Stratford Plateau, East Egmont, 18km from Stratford up Pembroke Rd.
WHO: Minimum age 12 years. Good health required, with average to above average level of fitness. You need to bring along a positive mental attitude as it is also required to successfully complete a summit climb.
Donation – Adults $30-Children 16 years and under $20to Mt EAC.
This is to be paid on the day of the climb. The club will supply a certificate on successful completion of the climb.
EQUIPMENT: Each participant is expected to carry the following:
- Trekking or tramping boots. (boots should fit properly to prevent blistering.) Low cut footwear eg sandshoes in most situations is unsuitable.
- Day pack.
- Rain coat (water proof)
- Jerseyor jacket of insulating material. (wool or polar fleece)
- Spare woollen or polypropylene shirt
- Long johns or fleece track pants
- Waterproof/wind proof over trousers
- Warm Gloves, Woolly hat.
- Sunhat, Sun block.
- Sun Glasses.
- Shorts, T Shirts.
- Food for the day
- Water 1.5 litres minimum (rich or very sweet drinks are not recommended)
- Personal First Aid Kit (Minimum of a few sticking plasters, Panadol etc)
- Personal Medication if any
- Gaiters and walking poles are desirable but not essential
Ideally start off wearing a layer of polypropylene (or similar) next to the skin with shorts and top. (Tee shirt etc) You will warm up very quickly!!
Please tick off items on the above gear list to insure you have everything. If you arenot too sure, or have any questions about the required gear list please contact Climb Controller.