18 km pipeline sends Eltham's Waste South

18 km pipeline sends Eltham's Waste South

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

“Eltham is now linked to Hawera in a physical sense as well as a political one!” Those were the words of South Taranaki District Mayor, Ross Dunlop, as he officially opened the $10.5 million Eltham-Hawera wastewater pipeline.

Although the pipeline has been in operation for around a year the final components in the wider project have only recently been completed. 

The official opening was the culmination of years of planning and preparation which started back in 2003. Back then the Taranaki Regional Council identified Eltham’s wastewater  discharge into the Waingongoro River catchment  as being the ‘worst  remaining point source discharge in all Taranaki.’

Today TRC Chairman, David McLeod was all smiles as he praised the South Taranaki District Council (STDC) for completing what was a difficult and costly project.

“A lot of good work has been made by the STDC on cleaning up the Waingongoro River catchment over the last few years and the completion of this project will have a significant impact on improving the water quality in the Waingongoro River,” he says.

Of the $10.5 million price tag for the project the STDC contributed 51% with the remaining 49% being paid for by Eltham industries, Fonterra and Affco.

STDC group manager of engineering services, Neil McCann says the project consisted of several major components.

“The project involved building a pump station at the Eltham Wastewater Treatment Plant, building the 18km pipeline from Eltham along the state highway to the Hawera Wastewater Treatment Plant and major upgrades at both Hawera and Eltham treatment plants and the Hawera effluent pump station.  The pipeline runs underground so most people won’t even be aware of its existence,” says Mr McCann.

“It’s always satisfying to complete a project of this magnitude and complexity particularly when the outcome is so beneficial to the district,” he says.