New Rubbish Recycling Collections Start This Week
Monday, September 28, 2015
The improved rubbish and recycling systems begin this Thursday (1 October) for all Taranaki residents who receive a council kerbside collection.
“The Stratford, South Taranaki and New Plymouth district councils have been working together on a new collection contract that’s more efficient, allows us to recycle more and lessens the amount of rubbish going to the landfill,” says NPDC Manager Water and Waste Mark Hall.
Throughout Taranaki each household on the collection route has a wheelie bin for plastics one to seven, paper, cardboard and cans, and a blue 60L crate for glass.
The separate glass collection enables glass to be sorted at the kerbside, which avoids the glass contaminating other recyclables and means more glass can be recycled into new bottles and jars.
“We’re also pleased to be able to offer an expanded list of items that can be recycled with all recyclable plastics, one to seven, being accepted under the new contract. Currently, only plastics one and two are collected,” says Mr Hall.
“Please check the booklet that came with your bins to make sure you know all about the new system – for some people there are a lot of changes including a new rubbish collection day.”
In South Taranaki the old rubbish and recycling bins owned by Waste Management will need to be collected for removal. Waste Management is working with the district’s Lions Clubs and some local schools to organise collection of the old wheelie bins.
South Taranaki residents who want to know more about the old bin collection should call Waste Management on 06-757 8381 or visit the South Taranaki District Council website here, or read STDC’s Southlink publication in the Star newspaper.
South Taranaki District collection
- Larger recycling wheelie bin (increasing from 120L to 140L).
- Additional weekly glass collection (60L blue glass crate), sorted at the kerbside.
- Expanded range of recyclables (numbers one to seven).
- A weekly collection of general waste, recycling and glass is retained.
- Added organic collection to the voluntary fortnightly green waste collection.
New Plymouth District collection
- General waste in red NPDC branded bags will be collected weekly with either the blue glass crate or the mixed recyclables wheelie bin.
- An expanded range of recyclables (plastics one to seven) able to be recycled.
- Glass will be collected separately and sorted at the kerbside.
- Rubbish collection days may change – check the sticker on your wheelie bin.
- Check your calendar to see if it is a glass collection week or a mixed recyclables collection week.
- More information is available at newplymouthnz.com/rubbish, or phone 06-759 6060.
- Download the NPDC Rubbish and Recycling app to check your rubbish day and what can and can’t be recycled.
Stratford District collection
- Additional 60L blue glass crate for recycling glass, collected on a fortnightly basis.
- An expanded range of recyclables (numbers one to seven).
- All collections will be on Mondays.
- A weekly collection of general waste is retained.
- Recycling collection increased to fortnightly.