Hawera Astronomical Society Puanga/Matariki Celebration
Saturday, June 25, 2011 06:30 AM
Hawera Astronomical Society Puanga/Matariki Celebration to be held on Saturday June 25th at 6.30am, finishing about 7.30am.
- 6:30am Puanga/ Matariki as the Maori New Year
- 6:45am The Stars
- Puanga is Rigel
- Matariki is Pleiades or the Seven Sisters
- The changing night sky (why different star signs can be seen at different times of the year and why they travel across the sky).
- The arrival of Matariki just before sunrise
- Why Puanga applies to Whanganui and Taranaki
- 6:55am Approx. if weather is good, viewing the stars (the moon will be at zenith about then as well so cn be viewed once puanga disappears in the sunrise still giving everyone something to look at)
- If weather is bad (cloudy) the rising of Punaga can be viewed via projector on Stellarium
- 7:00am Breakfast
- Bacon Butties and more
- 7:30am Approx. Wind up then clear up and pack away.
Venue: King Edward Park