Risk and Assurance Committee
The Risk and Assurance Committee is made up of the Mayor, an external member, five councillors and a representative from Iwi. The Risk and Assurance Committee meets every six weeks. Please check the Meetings Calendar for confirmed meeting details.
Please note; dates and times of scheduled meetings are subject to change and will be notified on the Meeting Calendar (link above) and also in the weekly Southlink page in our District's free community newspaper, the Taranaki Star.
Agenda and minutes from the Council's Policy and Strategy Committee meetings can be found in the Meetings Calendar (link above).
For more information, please contact the Governance Team or call 0800 111 323.
|Chairperson and External Member||Philip Jones|
|Members||Mayor Phil Nixon|
Cr Andy Beccard
Cr Celine Filbee
Cr Te Aroha Hohaia
The purpose of the Risk and Assurance Committee is to assist and advise the Council in discharging its responsibility and ownership of governance, risk management, and internal control.
The Committee will review the effectiveness of the following aspects of governance, risk management and internal control:
- risk management
- internal and external audit and assurance
- integrity and investigations
- monitoring of compliance with laws and regulations
- significant projects and programmes of work focussing on the appropriate management of risk
- oversight of preparation of the LTP, Annual Report, and other external financial reports required by statute.
- monitoring and oversight of the Long Term Investment Fund
To perform his or her role effectively, each committee member must develop and maintain his or her skills and knowledge, including an understanding of the Committee’s responsibilities, and of the Council’s business, operations and risks.
The Risk and Assurance Committee will have responsibility and authority to:
- Review the quarterly financial and non-financial reports of the Council;
- Oversee the relationship between the Council and its external auditor;
- Consider the Audit Management Report undertaken for the Annual Report and Long Term Plan and monitor progress against that;
- Receive and consider reports on the Council’s internal and external borrowing;
- Provide oversight and monitoring of the Council’s risk management framework;
- Provide oversight and monitoring of Council’s Long Term Investment Fund; and
- Oversee the relationship with the Council’s Investment Advisors and Fund Managers.