Make Your Mark on South Taranaki
Local body elections candidate nominations open this week
If you want to make your mark on your community, consider standing for the South Taranaki District Council in this year’s local body elections.
South Taranaki District Council (STDC) chief executive, Waid Crockett says despite the challenges it’s an exciting time to be involved in local government.
“With a huge raft of government reforms and the effects of COVID-19 still impacting it’s a challenging time, but also one which provides a unique opportunity to be involved in the changing face of local government,” says Crockett.
“The rewards certainly outweigh the challenges, as you work together to make the best decisions for the future economic, social, cultural and environmental wellbeing of our District,” he says.
Nominations open on Friday 15 July and close at 12noon on Friday 12 August.
There are changes at this year’s election following a Representation Review which established two Māori Wards with one representative each (Te Kūrae and Te Tai Tonga) and amended Councillor numbers in the General Wards - Te Hāwera (5), Taranaki Coastal (2), Pātea (2) and Eltham-Kaponga (2).
A Candidates Information Roadshow is being held on Saturday 16 July for anyone wanting to find out more about standing for their local District Council, or the Taranaki Regional Council.
- 9am – TSB Hub, Camberwell Road, Hāwera (hosted by South Taranaki District Council)
- 12noon – Stratford District Council, 63 Miranda Street
- 3pm – New Plymouth District Council, 84 Liardet Street
Nomination forms will be available at www.southtaranaki.com/vote2022 from 15 July and candidates have until noon on Friday, 12 August to submit their forms. You can also come into the South Taranaki District Council main building and pick up a Nomination Pack.
www.southtaranaki.com/vote2022 contains all the information candidates need to know as well as handy links and facts for voters including how to enrol.
Election key dates:
- Nominations open - Friday 15 July
- Candidates’ information day - Saturday 16 July (Hāwera 9am-11am, Stratford 12pm-2pm, New Plymouth 3pm-5pm)
- Nominations close – 12noon, Friday 12 August
- Voting packs delivered - from Friday 16 September
- Voting closes – 12noon, Saturday 8 October