Waste Management at Events
Kaitiaki para ki ngā huinga
Event waste minimisation station
South Taranaki District Council is committed to minimising waste at events in our District.
To support this effort, Council supplies event organisers with free use of an event waste minimisation station. This station is tailored to the needs of each event. It can include bins with different coloured sorting lids, flags, and a base with informative wraps. While use of the station is free, event organisers must cover any associated waste disposal fees.
Event Waste Management Plan
Events in South Taranaki with over 100 attendees are required to have an Event Waste Minimisation Plan identifying expected event waste streams and a strategy for reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill.
The Events clause in the South Taranaki District Council Solid Waste Bylaw 2013 section 10 has everything you need to know about Waste Minimisation requirements at events, but basically your waste management and minimisation plan needs to set out the following:
- An estimate of the types and amounts of waste to be generated by the event;
- How waste generated by the event is minimised;
- The steps to maximise the collection and use of recyclables and refuse material;
- The equipment to be provided for the storage, collection and transportation of waste and diverted material;
- The person responsible for the collection and disposal of waste and the methods to be used;
- A waste analysis following the conclusion of the event; and
- Any other matters relating to event waste management and minimisation that may be specified by the Council in the future.
If you would like help to design an event waste minimisation plan or to book the free event waste minimisation station, get in touch with our Environment and Sustainability Officer by emailing or calling tollfree on 0800 111 323.