Hei tono kōrero i a mātou
If you need a lot of information, or the information you need is not available on this website or from our staff, there is a process to request information which we can help you with.
Local Government Official Information and Meeting Act (LGOIMA) requests
You can make a LGOIMA request for any information that we hold, such as:
- Council projects
- Information you need to participate in a consultation
- The reason for a decision or our decision-making process
- Our policies and procedures
Types of requests that have been made in the past are:
- Rates Examples
- Staff Remuneration Ranges
- Yearly Kerbside Recycling Levels
- Copies of Council Minutes and Reports
- Cost of Council’s Advertising
- GIS Shape Files
- Drug Testing
- Freedom Camping
- Land Use Consents
If you are not satisfied with our response to your request for official information, you can complain to the Office of the Ombudsman.
Before you ask – see if you can find it online
Below is a list of common examples below with links to the relevant information.
- Annual Rate Examples
- Long Term Plan and Annual Plan Process
- Number of Staff and Remuneration Ranges
- Councillor/Community Board Info
- Fees and Charges
Costs of Information Requests
We will quote you the cost of your request within the first five days (where possible) before we begin collecting the information. It is then up to you if you decide to proceed, withdraw or alter/reduce your request.
We might ask for some, or all, of the cost to be paid in advance. Our Chief Executive can waive charges at his discretion.
Every hour after first hour
Photocopying – first 50 pages
Thereafter, usual photocopying and scanning charges apply.
Timeframe for your request
We aim to provide you a final response within 20 working days as per the Local Government Official Information and Meeting Act (LGOIMA) 1987.
We will let you know if:
- We cannot meet the deadline
- We need more clarification from you about the information that you seek
- We need to transfer your request because the information sits with another government organisation.
You can ask us to treat your request as urgent. If you do, you need to provide a reason. This does not mean you will receive it immediately but we will try our best to accommodate this request.
How to request information from us
Make sure that your request includes your name, contact number and either your postal or email address (depending on whether you’d like a letter or an email sent to you in response).
Withholding or refusing to give information
We may withhold or refuse to give information for reasons specified in sections 6, 7 and 17 of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987. If we withhold or refuse to give information, we will explain to you the reason why.
For information about withholding personal information, see sections 27 – 29 of the Privacy Act 1993.
If you need more information
Contact the Privacy Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you:
- Have questions about our process for LGOIMA requests
- Need clarification about anything
- Want more information
- Want to request new or additional information (where possible, include the reference number of your original request)