The Animal Management Team administers the Dog Control Act 1996 and carries out animal services throughout the district. Our district has about 5,000 registered dogs.
Working with the Council's Dog Control Policy, our Animal Management team is committed to promoting better care and control of dogs in the District through:
- Respond to complaints about dog behaviour and dog problems including, roaming dogs, barking dogs, aggressive dogs and dog attacks
- Lost and found dogs
- Provide and maintain pound facilities
- Dog adoptions and fostering
- Ensuring compliance with bylaws and policies
- Microchipping & registration
- Dog and stock control
We encourage you to log your Animal Control requests 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 0800 111 323.
Our After Hours service will respond to serious incidents (dog attacks, threatening or menacing behaviour from dogs and stock on roads) as they occur. All other concerns will be followed up by an Animal Management Officer during work hours.