The Community Development team works alongside our communities to build their capacity and to implement or deliver a range of initiatives and projects to enhance the social, economic, environmental and cultural well-beings of residents of our district.
To achieve these objectives the following key roles are undertaken:
- Work with the community and groups to raise their own capacity to achieve the outcomes they desire for themselves
- Work in partnership with community groups, businesses and external agencies to make the best use of resources
- Complete joint community and Council initiatives which contribute to the achievement of community aspirations and Council outcomes
- Undertake research and consultation which accurately identifies the issues and opportunities for our communities and the outcomes they wish for themselves
- Supporting the Mayor’s Taskforce for Jobs to assist young people into work.
Partnerships with regional stakeholders are developed and maintained including managing Roadsafe Taranaki on behalf of the three District Councils, being a partner of the Taranaki Disability Strategy, Regional Public Transport Service and Regional Capacity Building incubator the Wheelhouse.
STDC Communications Manager Gerard Langford interviews two of the Council's Community Development Team, Janine and Ella (10 December 2019).