Short Story/Drama Script Section
Short Story/Drama Script entries should reflect aspects of present day life in the local area or a revealing character description of a local person (rather than science fiction, futuristic or foreign settings).
Entries to this category have a 2,000 word limit.
Secondary School - secondary school students whose parents/caregivers are residents or ratepayers of the South Taranaki District are eligible. Entries are limited to five per person.
Open - residents or ratepayers in the wider Taranaki region who are over the age of 13 years and are not eligible for the Secondary School section are eligible. Entries are limited to five per person.
Prizes in each section
1st prize $500
2nd prize $300
3rd prize $200
How to enter
- Entry to the competition will be online only with entrants submitting their entry (as a Word document in Arial 12 font) via our entry form.
- The work must be titled.
- Each page must be numbered.
- Please ensure you do not have your name or address anywhere in your uploaded document: we judge all entries 'blind' and including your names or address will invalidate your entry.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant alone and must not have appeared in any publication.
- Entries must not contain any photographs or illustrations.
- The competition opens on Monday 7 June 2021 and closes at 11.59pm (NZ Time) on Wednesday 11 August 2021. No entries will be accepted prior to the opening date or after the closing date.
- Once an entry is submitted, the manuscript is final. The entry cannot be withdrawn and no alterations can be made to it.
- There is an Open section and Secondary School section in this category
- Entrants in the Secondary School section must have parents/guardians who are residents or ratepayers of the South Taranaki District. The entrants must be attending a secondary school or be home schooled at a secondary school level.
- Teachers may advise a student on their work in the initial stages, however, the final entry piece must not be edited by a teacher.
- Entrants in the Open section must be over 13 years of age, and must be residents or ratepayers of the wider Taranaki region. You must not be eligible for the Secondary School section.
- The South Taranaki District Council (STDC) takes no responsibility for entries.
- All entries will receive an acknowledgement of their entry immediately on submission.
- Manuscripts will not be returned to the entrants.
- STDC will endeavour to arrange first publication and/or broadcast of the winning manuscript.
- Copyright remains with the author. However, STDC reserves the right to publish the winning entries without fee. A selection of the manuscripts (other than the winner) may be chosen for publication (without fee) after the presentation of the Awards.
- Winners' names, entry details, biographical information and photographs will be required by STDC for promotional purposes.
- The entries chosen as finalists will be universally formatted to fit our chosen template for publication.
- Entries selected for publication (including online) will be subject to editing to usual newspaper requirements before publication.