Applying for Food Registrations
Our Council registers new food businesses online through a platform called Business Connect (which is part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment MBIE)
How to register
Below are the steps you need to take to register your new food business online through Business Connect. Please note: The RealMe portal is unavailable on 1 and 2 July 2022 for maintenance. If you need help, or are not sure what sort of food business you should be registering, contact our customer services team on 0800 111 323 and ask to speak to an environmental health officer, or email firstname.lastname@example.org . We can also make an appointment to discuss your application in person.
- Right click on My Food Rules (select 'open link in a new tab') to understand the food safety rules for your business.
- Right click on Business Connect (select 'open link in a new tab')
- Login using your RealMe account. If you don’t have a RealMe account, you can follow the link to quickly create one.
- If it’s your first time logging onto Business Connect, you will need to create an account using your email address.
- Once you have you have done that, go to the Business Connect dashboard.
- Click the service you want to apply for (Register a Food Business or Alcohol License)
- Click the check eligibility button, once you have read the information.
- Select 'South Taranaki District Council' in the Your Council field.
- Complete the application form.
We'll be in touch if we have any further questions regarding your application. You can pay your fee online using the details provided at the end of the application, alternatively bring in the confirmation email and pay in person at our Hāwera Council Administration Building or at any of our LibraryPlus facilities across the district.
How to renew your registration
To renew your food business registration before it expires, you’ll need to do this online.
- Go to Business Connect
- Log on using your RealMe profile followed by your Business Connect Login.
- Go to the Business Connect dashboard.
- Complete the renewal form
We'll be in touch if we have any further questions regarding your renewal application. You can pay your fee online using the details provided at the end of the application, alternatively bring in the confirmation email and pay in person at our Hāwera Council Administration Building or at any of our LibraryPlus facilities across the district.
About Business Connect
With Business Connect, registering a food business will be easier and more streamlined. Once you register to use Business Connect, most of your business details will be pre-populated thanks to integration with the New Zealand Business Number.
Overall, Business Connect aims to make things easier for small and medium business owners in New Zealand, and offer a more consistent user experience across a range of application forms. Some of the benefits include:
- one place to go to fulfil compliance requirements and track interactions across government
- making regular renewals quick and easy through pre-populating information
- sending automated renewal reminders for businesses
- providing notifications on changes to application status
- saving important documents to be reused in future.
You can find out more on the Business Connect website.