Take kaunihera whakahokinga
The Rates Rebate Scheme was established in 1973 by the Government to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners on the cost of their rates.
Are you eligible?
You can apply for a rates rebate if:
- You are on a low income (if you earn up to $49,000 max, depending on the level of your rates, you might be eligible for some rate rebate)
- You have to pay rates on the address you live at, and
- You were living there at the beginning of the rating year (1 July), and
- Your name is on the rates bill, or
- You are the owner of an “Owner-occupier flat” and your name is not on the bill but you pay some of the rates (proof is required). Please contact the Council if you would like to know if you are eligible.
The maximum rebate given for 2022/23 is $700.00. The closing date for applications is 30 June 2023.
If you are not sure whether you are eligible to apply call us on (06) 278 0555 or toll free on 0800 111 323 or go to the website to see their example tables or electronic calculator.
How to apply?
When applying you must have:
- Details of gross income (income before tax is deducted) for the last tax year (ended 31 March 2022)
- Details of your partners / joint home owners income, if they live with you.
Complete the correct application form and return to Council offices, all details must be completed.
Click here to go find an Application form, or go www.govt.nz/rates-rebate for more information.
Applications close on 30 June each year
If your application is not received by the Council before the 30 June of each financial year, your application will not be accepted for approval.
Each year the Council sends a new application form to all applicants who qualified for the previous year. This is for your convenience to make sure you remember to reapply.