Wāhi korikori tinana
Unless stated otherwise, dogs must be on a leash at all times within the South Taranaki District Urban Areas.
Dogs are prohibited in the following areas:
- The playing surfaces of all sports grounds
- Children's playgrounds
- Council-owned swimming pools (unless specified prior e.g. Dog Splash Day)
Fenced Dog Park in Hāwera
The district’s first enclosed Dog Park (found at Beech Place Reserve, an open field between Tawa, Ngaio Streets and Kamahi Ave) is now fully fenced and gated so dogs can run free while still enclosed in the reserve. It’s the start of a longer project which will include involvement from interested groups to plan and discuss landscaping and provide basic dog agility equipment for our pooches. Dog owners are reminded they must carry a leash at all times and should ensure their dog is under continuous control while inside the dog exercise area.
Exercise Areas around the district
Leash free dog exercise areas Dogs are permitted unleashed at the following locations (please look at the Dog Control Bylaw if you wish to know more).
- Waihi Beach and Domain
- Ohawe Beach (except for town area and camping grounds)
- Normanby Domain (designated area only)
- Middleton Bay
- Manaia Domain (behind sports fields)
- Taylor Park, Eltham
- Smyth Park, Kaponga
- Thoumine Park Roadside Reserve Area, Kaponga
- Pātea Domain (excluding play area)
- Pātea Beach
- Long Beach, Waverley